Bible verses about forgiveness will help us to understand why God commands us to forgive and why it’s so critical to be able to forgive.
Did Jesus set a limit on forgiveness? Forgiveness would be simple if we had to grant it only to those who come to ask with sadness and regret (our relatives and friends).
At some point in life, everyone has already suffered injustices, offenses, and we commit sins every day because every human being is a sinner.
How should we react when the offense is serious against us to the point of shaking our coexistence?
The Bible tells us that we must unconditionally forgive those who have sinned against us, whether friend or foe.
What is forgiveness, according to the Bible?
Forgiveness is the human action to get rid of guilt, an offense, a debt.
Forgiveness is a mental process that seeks to eliminate resentment, anger, resentment, or another negative feeling about a person or himself.
Etymologically, the word “forgiveness” comes from the Latin “perdonare,” which means the action of forgiving, that is, accepting or apologizing; redeem yourself for something wrong.
The expression “asking for forgiveness” is used when someone recognizes his mistake and apologizes to the people he was unfair to.
The Greek word translated “forgiveness” literally means “let go, let go” in the Bible. It is as if someone forgives a debt.
Jesus used this comparison when he taught his followers to pray (Luke 11: 4): “Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves also forgive everyone who is in debt to us.”.
Forgiving is not a conditional act, as the Bible does not impose conditions for us to forgive someone.
On the contrary, it determines forgiveness as a commandment. It imposes conditions for us to receive God’s forgiveness.
If you don’t forgive, God will have no mercy to forgive you when you plead with him for forgiveness.
Bible verses about God’s forgiveness.
In our minds, we keep in mind that God forgives people’s sins, but we often have a hard time believing that God forgives ours.
We all sin, but sin weighs heavily and makes us feel bad and estranged from God. God does not want us to be apart from Him, and He is always willing to forgive us.
If you struggle thinking about how God will forgive you, and it is difficult for you to accept his forgiveness, these biblical quotes about God’s forgiveness will help you.
Remember that his word is always true, regardless of your situation or what you feel.
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and forgives us our sins, and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
1. Come now, and let us reason together,” Says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet. They shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool. (Isaiah 1:18)
2. Then Peter said to them, “Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the [a]remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. (Acts 2:38)
3. Let the wicked forsake his way, and the unrighteous man his thoughts. Let him return to the LORD, And He will have mercy on him; And to our God, For He will abundantly pardon. (Isaiah 55:7)
4. Repent therefore and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, so that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord. (Acts 3:19)
5. He has delivered us from the power of darkness and [a]conveyed us into the kingdom of the Son of His love. In whom we have redemption [b]through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:13-14)
6. For this is My blood of the [a]new covenant, which is shed for many for the [b]remission of sins. (Matthew 26:28)
7. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
8. To Him, all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission[a] of sins. (Acts 10:43)
9. For You, Lord, are good, and ready to forgive, And abundant in mercy to all those who call upon You. (Psalm 86:5)
10. If My people called by My name will humble themselves, pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and forgive their sin and heal their land.
(2 Chronicles 7:14)
11. Pardon the iniquity of this people, I pray, according to the greatness of Your mercy, just as You have forgiven these people, from Egypt even until now.
Then the LORD said: “I have pardoned, according to your word; but truly, as I live, all the earth shall be filled with the glory of the LORD (Numbers 14:19-21)
Also Related: Top 55 Proven Bible Verses-to Strengthen Your Faith.
Bible Verses about Forgiveness of Others.
The Bible does not make us an invitation or recommendation about forgiving others but instead gives us a command.
It is our duty as Christians to forgive those who offend us, and we must do so from the heart.
This may seem harsh since there are times when we have been significantly hurt or damaged, and we think that we are in our right not to forgive.
If we cannot love a neighbor we see, how can we love an invisible God?
So the next time bitterness, resentment, or heartbreak knocks on your door, remember, for Christ’s sake, forgive.
12. And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you. (Ephesians 4:32)
13. And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses. (Mark 11:25)
14. Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. (Colossians 3:13)
15. And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen. For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. (Matthew 6:12-14)
16. Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. (Luke 6:37)
17. Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times? Jesus said to him, “I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven. (Matthew 18:21-22)
18. The discretion of a man makes him slow to anger, And his glory is to overlook a transgression. (Proverbs 19:11)
19. Bearing with one another, and forgiving one another, if anyone has a complaint against another; even as Christ forgave you, so you also must do. (Colossians 3:13)
Bible verses about forgiving yourself.
There is no limit to forgiving yourself. Jesus gives us a very great example: he passed through this world, was offended, slapped, crucified, was rejected by the beloved disciple Peter, but he never stopped forgiving.
20. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who[a] do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8:1)
21. He has not dealt with us according to our sins, Nor punished us according to our iniquities. For as the heavens are high above the earth, so great is His mercy toward those who fear Him. (Psalm 103:10-11)
22. So that he who blesses himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; he who swears in the earth Shall swear by the God of truth; Because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hidden from My eyes. (Isaiah 65:16)
Bible verses about the power of forgiveness.
23. I, even I, am He who blots out your transgressions for My own sake; and I will not remember your sins. (Isaiah 43:25)
24. Who is a God like You, pardoning iniquity and passing over the transgression of the remnant of His heritage? He does not retain His anger forever, Because He delights in mercy.
He will again have compassion on us And will subdue our iniquities. You will cast all our sins into the depths of the sea. (Micah 7:18-19)
25. Judge not, and you shall not be judged. Condemn not, and you shall not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven. (Luke 6:37)
26. In Him, we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence. (Ephesians 1:7-8)
27. Moreover, if your brother sins against you, go and tell him his fault between you and him alone. If he hears you, you have gained your brother. (Matthew 18:15)
28. Then He adds, “Their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more. (Hebrews 10:17)
29. As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
Bible verses about forgiving others who hurt you.
Jesus always taught that we should forgive and love everyone, even those who hurt us and show no regret.
He asked his Father to forgive those who crucified him, even though they did not repent. We must always forgive the way we want God to forgive us.
30. Take heed to yourselves. If your brother sins against you, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.
And if he sins against you seven times in a day, and seven times in a day returns to you, saying, ‘I repent,’ you shall forgive him. (Luke 17:3-4)
31. Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. (James 5:16)
32. So that, on the contrary, you ought rather to forgive and comfort him, lest perhaps such a one be swallowed up with too much sorrow.
Therefore I urge you to reaffirm your love to him. (2 Corinthians 2:7-8)
33. Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins. (Proverbs 10:12)
34. But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you. (Matthew 5:44)
35. If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty, give him a drink; For in so doing, you will heap coals of fire on his head. (Romans 12:20)
36. See that no one renders evil for evil to anyone, but always pursue what is good both for yourselves and for all. (1 Thessalonians 5:15)
Our Father always has open arms.
The beauty of the cross is that there, with arms wide open, our savior awaits us.
It does not matter what you have done or what you are going to do, Christ died there for you, and take charge over your sin. There is no longer condemnation for us.
This does not mean that we will sin deliberately but rather anytime we come before him remorseful, he will forgive us and embrace us on his cross.
37. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 6:23)
38. To the Lord, our God belongs mercy and forgiveness, though we have rebelled against Him. (Daniel 9: 9)
39. But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. (Matthew 6:15)
40. He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy. (Proverbs 28:13)
41. But there is forgiveness with You, That You may be feared. (Psalm 130:4)
42. In whom we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins. (Colossians 1:14)
43. But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:8)
44. Therefore let it be known to you, brethren that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins. (Acts 13:38)
45. The LORD is good to all, and His tender mercies are over all His works. (Psalm 145:9)
46. Nor is their salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved. (Acts 4:12)
47. If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)
The Bible teaches that true forgiveness is born out of a love that does not pursue its interests.
This love does not account for mistakes. Forgiving is an act of love for both our neighbors and ourselves. People who do not grant forgiveness are bitter and often sad.
We know that we genuinely forgive when what bothered us no longer bothers us;
You will not be able to forgive without the power of the Holy Spirit. It isn’t easy to forgive in your effort.
God will help you if you are willing, but you need to humble yourself and cry out to Him for help.
David SmallIs an Ordained Minister and Life Coach. He is an ordained minister since 1988. Shortly after receiving Jesus as his personal savior, he answered the call to ministry.
Bible Verses about Faith: Top 103 Awesome
God has given us so many awesome bible verses about faith in His word. Click this article and get awesome verses and strengthen your faith.
51 Awesome Inspirational Bible Verses
Do you know that inspirational bible verses will lead you into a deeper understanding of who God is and what His plans are for your life?